Thursday, September 28, 2006

September 28, 2006 - Thursday

September 28, 2006

Today was Thursday. A Tea house day. We had a team debrief at 8:30AM this morning before heading over to the ARC. I didn’t really sleep that well last night and had a bit of an upset stomach, but it wasn’t too bad. Jean Y and Erika really felt bad though. Erika stayed home all day and tried to rest. I think Jean might have outdone herself with trying to work under illness. She eventually left to rest for a while.

I spent most of the day in the office, working on the project for Scott (with the Mr Bean dvd’s). He gave it a high priority and said I could stay in there all day if needed. So, I got started right away. I wasn’t feeling superb anyway, so it was great to be able to sit and just rest for a while.

While working on the dvd project, I also helped Mr. Ali with his laptop (he was in the office most of the day too). His power adapter had a short in it, and whenever he couldn’t get it to power up, he would occasionally pinch the cable and tape it back together. I knew that this wasn’t the best thing to do, so I took the tape off, cut both ends, and stripped back the wire and pieced it back together, taping the wires separately so that it wouldn’t happen again.

I finished with the DVD around 1pm. It took a while to encode, rip, burn, etc. so I just surfed the internet and showed Mr. Ali how to do some stuff on his computer. I showed him how to download some pictures off of his email and save them to his jump drive, transfer to his laptop, etc.

After a while, I left the office to help clean up from tea house. Kerry and I wiped down the tables, and then I went around and mopped them. Jean A, Skip, and I swept and mopped the floors.

We finished all of that around 3:30pm. Instead of heading home, we met Nadir at the ARC and he took us to his house for dinner. It was a long metro ride and walk but well worth it. Ella is a fantastic cook and she prepared a lot of great food for us. I have been asked to specifically mention the food in this blog, so here you go. We had white rice, steamed vegetables with chicken, fried chicken, lentils/noodles with chicken, spring rolls, and a special Persian dish involving corn stew and fries. It was a bit of a Persian/Filipino dinner. While we enjoyed dinner, Nadir shared his story of how he found Jesus.

On the way home, we took the metro back to Omonia Square. When we first got on the train, I heard “Chariots of Fire” playing over the music system in the station. I immediately started whistling the theme. No one else did. Sometimes, you have to be willing to be the first person to try something, even if no one else joins in. And I’m ok with that.

When we came back home, everyone sort of informally gathered in the library. Erika came downstairs, feeling a little bit better. Jean Y immediately went upstairs to bed.

After talking for a while, I turned on my laptop and started watching some episodes from the Mr. Bean dvd that just so happened to stay on my computer… Before I knew it, everyone had gathered around to watch as well. We all enjoyed some great comedy portrayed through Rowan Atkinson.

While watching, I was told from across the room that I apparently got Karen in trouble for writing about our ice cream stops. Charlie supposedly heard about it from several people who have been reading this blog. Great to know that we have a lot of readers though! So anyway, I am in trouble for getting Karen in trouble. So, let’s not get Joe in trouble anymore.

I went ahead and got my team debrief questions done and out of the way tonight. I didn’t want to have those looming over me as this trip draws to a close.

Tomorrow is another work project day. We are all stationed here at the house to clean and organize. I think I might be working on a slideshow or something to give to the ARC team before we leave…

Well, I’m out to go take a shower and then watch some Mr. Bean before going to bed.

-Joe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home